Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Clafoutis #1: Cherry & Chocolate Clafoutis

So, I know this is suppose to be a pie blog; but, I have a book by Love Food called “Crumbles & Cobblers” with recipes that I wanted to tryout while I had some cherries on hand.
Good news! I used the cherry pitter and pitted one pound of cherries in about 10 minutes with no fuss and no mess, last time that took about 40 minutes with plenty of fuss and mess. With all of these extra cherries I decided to make cherry and chocolate clafoutis.  What is a clafoutis? Great question, I didn’t know either till I looked it up, it’s a tart made of fruit (like cherries) baked in a thick sweet batter. That’s why I thought it sounded good. It was pretty easy to make with only one hang up for me, and you will be shocked by this, it was the measuring part. At one point I could not figure out what 1 ¼ cup was (there was no marking on the measuring cup), so I did what every pie maker would do… I put a cup of milk in the measuring cup then I got out another ¼ measuring cup and filled that up, then dumped it in with the cup I already had. Tada! 1 + ¼ cup. So, I just mixed up all the ingredients and followed the directions to the T. Well, besides putting in kirsch, which was optional, and come to find out, that was a type of brandy that would have enriched the flavor a tad.


Hello Results: I was not sure what the consistency of a tart should be so I looked it up and found out it should be the consistency of a flan. It worked out. Joshua and I tasted it and it was pretty good. I will say that it needs a glass of cold milk or hot coco. Not sure I can count it as a pie, but it was all made from scratch. So I’ll say 299 pies to go and 1 clafoutis down for extra credit.


No comments:

Post a Comment