Monday, August 29, 2011

Pie #10: Rockin Apple Pie

Okay so pie 10! I wanted to make a pie but did not want to go the store, so off I went into the kitchen to see what I could find. Lucky me I found some apples and some yummy spices.


So introducing Rockin Apple Pie, why the name, well I did not go by a recipe at all, I “created” it all by myself.  So what better name than Rockin Apple Pie! Right?
In this pie I made a Basic Flakey Pie Double crust, without looking at the recipe, seems I have this pie crust down.  See below for the bottom crust.



You may be wondering why there is so much over hang on the bottom crust. Well let me enlighten you. The reason why is, you want to have and overhang so you can attach the top crust later, allowing for some room to mess with the crust allowing you to have what they call an Upstanding Ridge crust if you would like.
 After this I peeled some Gala apples and put in some sugar and corn starch and cinnamon and then the apples; then pouring the mixture in the pie dish.


After that I rolled out the top crust and put the top crust on, spread some milk over the top of the pie crust (this helps you get a good browning on top of the crust), then sprinkled some sugar on top. Since I had some wiggle room with the crust I decided to use what I will call the fork technique. To do this, you use a fork, (imagine that), with the fork you go around the edge of the curst and press the fork into the crust, this makes for a cool design; I will refer to as the fork print. 


Then I put the pie in the oven for 30-45 minutes. While the pie was in the oven I used the left over crust to make some cinnamon and sugar squares. These squares remind me of home. How my mom use to make them, oh the memories… Oh, these squares were a huge hit with my boys.


After the pie was in the oven for about 45 minutes I took it out and let it set for a while. 


Was there an occasions for this pie? Funny you should ask that, actually. I did this pie for a Woman’s Bible study; I was supposed to bring a dessert that night. So I thought I would surprise them with a homemade apple pie. Well as it turns out the meeting was cancelled and Joshua and the boys and I got to eat some yummo pie. So that worked out for our favor for sure!


Hello Results: I would have loved to share this pie with my gal pals but I know there will be another chance to do so. My boys, including my hubby, loved the pie and the cinnamon sugar squares. I strive to get to the point where I can walk in a kitchen and put some things in a pie crust and say … “There you go, the best pie you will ever have!”  What can I say I dream BIG.
10 pies down and 290 to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment